Supremescape
Welcome!

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason. We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft. Also any legal Jagex Ltd staff, family of Jagex Ltd staff, or close friend of Jagex Ltd staff is forbiden to register or use someone else's login to axcess the forums.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

By registering or logging in, you agree to these T.O.S.
Supremescape
Welcome!

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason. We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft. Also any legal Jagex Ltd staff, family of Jagex Ltd staff, or close friend of Jagex Ltd staff is forbiden to register or use someone else's login to axcess the forums.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

By registering or logging in, you agree to these T.O.S.
Supremescape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Runescape© Private Server Designed By Crash.

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Guide to Guiding Image

Selling a vinyl 9ft by 5ft store banner for Halo Reach on eBay.
Feel free to bid if you want.
Reach Banner - eBay

Guide to Guiding

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 am

Okay in this simple little guide but very effective i will be notifying you on how you should attempt your guide format.

1. Attempt to give as much possible information as can on the subject, the more information you have the easier it will be to understand, the easier it is to understand the more people will use it, try to add simple effective aspects in your guide. Such as: Screenshots, Detailed text that can explain the subject as best as possible.

2. Don't make your guide one sentence long, it will be totally useless if you are going to start your guide with "Just pm me for all you need on doing anything". Also try to add some acknowledgments, I see a lot of plagiarized work being passed around forums, just try to get authentic permission to distribute someone else's work.

3. We don't expect you to write a 20 page essay about swazie land, but we do require you to do your best to add all the information possible on the subject you are explaining.

4. Use grammar, minor typos can end up to flaming and spamming the forum. Your expected to know how to spell if your constructing a guide and use as much information in your text that you can fit! the more descriptive and easy-to-understand (hey i used that word again) words makes it very easy for the viewer to view/read.

5. Literary devices. Literary devices are things like metaphors, similes, hyperbole, etc. These enhance your guide to a rate that is pretty good.

6. Breaks are very easy to add and very good to add because your not going to get the message out fluently if they are just reading one massive paragraph of white text.

7. Adding color can also be vital in creating your perfect guide in the sense it is easier to see. I have a personal view on color and I think it does bring out the guide in a more easy to understand language.

8. The sophistication of your guide can be really basic, or you can construct a well-written guide and ultimately receive respect.

9. Another way to get your message out smoothly is to put effects in, such as: Underlining, Bold, Strikeout and so on. These effects draw attention to the area(s) used and overall make it an easier guide to understand.

10. Smilies surprisingly can effect how you see the guide. An overuse of smilies can see the guide too cramped and just stuck. The use of smilies or emotions effect many different people and is ultimately your decision.

11. I have put a little table up for breaking down your guide.

Your guide should get broken down into:

-The Title (Optional, can just get straight into it)

-Sections----->Sub-sections ----->Sub-Sub-Sections (1,2,3,4/a,b,c,d,etc.)

- Additional Notes: Special Thanks, etc. (At the bottom)

This table is just a little addition and will have some things mentioned above.

1. Name of your project. (possibly mentioned in the title)
2. Tell them the requirements. ex. A brain and a chicken.
3. Before you start your project tell them a bit about it.
4. Try and use screenshots and pictures but don't overcrowd it.
5. Attempt to use your best grammar. (I'm not that much of a role model)
6. Use humor, you'll get the message out more smooth then ever.
7. Do your own work! if you're going to use someone else's please leave the ~Source(s)~ ~Acknowledgements~ at the end.
8. Choose a catchy header, something that will get someone's attention, such as: Chop Till You Drop - Mega Woodcutting Guide. See easy.
9. Have a brain and actually tell them where to go. Ex. Go to Karamja. No, tell them how to get there, I know it sounds really babyish but some people don't know.

This guide Isn't much but if this has helped you in anyway you can also +rep me instead of just complementing (please complement)

Updates:

- Fixed Errors
- Added Some more steps
- Added Table
- Added some more steps
- Fixed Color Problems
- Added black lines for more recognition
- Mad as Breaks! 14/10/09
- Continuously fixing errors. 14/10/09
- Read it through and fixed grammatical errors.

I will continue to update it if you give me ideas.

Yes, I did put some time into this so don't dis me.
I'm only 12! so respect the feet i had to climb to produce this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Last edited by Leki on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 am; edited 12 times in total (Reason for editing : (crash) Set to announce for true effort and skill.)
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 5:07 am

Lol, Good Guide!
Nice to see da good ol' Leki back in action Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 am

Nice guide. Problem is, the second last line is hard to read without highlighting it. Oh, and here:

Quote :
Use grammar, minor typos can end up to flaming and spamming the forum. Your expected to know how to spell if your typing a guide and use as much information in your text that you can fit! the more descriptive and easy-to-understand (hey i used that word again) words makes it very easy for the viewer to view/read.

You used the wrong grammar. You wrote "Your expected to know how to spell...", it should be "You're expected to know how to spell...". =D
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 3:29 pm

But you were able to understand it okay?
I'm just saying ATTEMPT to use grammar, I admit i am not the best writer and i do make a few little mistakes. I will fix the color up and fix the error, thanks.

Thanks, Pape.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Change the color on the second last line to something other than black please. Good job though.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Changed Color and updated some things.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 am

Leki wrote:
6. Use humor, you'll get the message out mote smooth then ever.

Yup, I've Got enough experience in that, notify the little fault here, u said "mote"
i'm sure u ment more, but change it Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Changed it. Smile

Updated and changed many things. Guide looks really nice now.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 am

if every1 does it like this, the guide section will be the diamond of this forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 12:25 am

Well unfortunately some people do not take note on how to actually post a guide so that's why i created this, hope you like it and thanks for the positive feedback.

If you're wondering why i create these guides it is because of the feel of helping and guiding new players and even veterans in the right direction. It also builds up my reputation on the server and the forum and i will be more well-known around the place.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 5:21 am

Well, now that you made one,
tho there are still people who don't read it (carefully).
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:49 pm

There will never be any perfect guides on ANY forum. The point in posting this is to get the basics through thick skulled players who are going to create their first guide.

It is a lot of text and you could easily get lost reading it and do not expect anyone to read it fluently the first time. Just look back at it get some ideas then just start typing up your text.

I have got the thought into my head because i saw someone (can't remember) post a guide that said "PM me in-game i'll tell you some stuff". A guide is meant to guide people, Although this might help if they're online what is the point when they aren't?

;D
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Leki says it! Yup, but i am pointing on those players. they totally ignore guides like these. and a guide on a forum is always better than some ingame advice. thats my opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I have aimed this at the newbies of out forum, I expect everyone now to at least construct a legit reasonable guide.

Last edited by Leki on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 9:40 pm

Hah, used this guide to help me make my moderator guide. Sure you can't see it, but I still used it!
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:02 pm

What you mean you can't see it?

LOL!, ,my bad.

Last edited by Leki on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:11 pm

No, you can't see my guide. It's under moderator only, lol.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Oh, Lol.

What is that guide about? How to become a successful moderator?
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 11:42 pm

How to moderate well, so yeah.

It's some simple tips that some of the not so...popular moderators would have done well to follow.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 8:58 am

Good Jupiter,
Maybe once, i will be able to see the guide and i'll post in there Very Happy
Great idea to make that guide Jupiter, it will help new mods... Smile
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Okay back to the topic. I don't mind you guys rambling about those things but keep it reasonable.

What would you guys rate this on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the lowest and 10 highest.

Last edited by Leki on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:37 pm

10/10

Informative, and if kids actually read it we shouldn't have any bad quality guides; or at least good attempts at a guide.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks Jupiter, I appreciate your positive feedback.
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 11:59 am

10/10,
yup! Got nothing negative to say about it so it deserves 10/10!
Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 3:07 am

Nice one leki, very informative, nice guide, if everybody uses this creating a guide, the forum's will be very nice and spifft (well this section anyway) great job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Guide to Guiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guide to Guiding   Guide to Guiding Empty

Back to top Go down

Guide to Guiding
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Supremescape :: Supremescape :: Guides-
Jump to: